It's not always easy to explain issues and help over the phone. With screen-sharing, our Support Team can see your computer screen and share control of your mouse & keyboard. Allowing us to fix problems, help you answer your questions better and show you what to do when something goes wrong in the future.
1. What do I need to run a screen-sharing session?
For screen-sharing to work, you'll need the following:
- A working internet connection;
- A compatible operating system (Windows 2000 or higher / Mac OS X 10.4 or higher);
- An internet browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox or Chrome).
2. How do I start a screen-sharing session?
If a screen-sharing is required during a call, our Support Team will direct you to http://fastsupport.gotoassist.com. Here, you can enter your name followed by a unique support code provided to you by our Support Team.
After clicking "Continue", a message appears:
- Internet Explorer: You'll be asked to run the GoToAssist application, click "Run" to start the session.
- Firefox, Chrome and others: You'll be asked to download and run the GoToAssistStarter file. Do this to start the session.
Don't worry if you're not sure about any of the above, we'll talk you through each step during the call. Once the session begins, we'll be able to see your screen and share control of your mouse and keyboard.
3. Can you see files on my computer without my knowledge?
No. It's a shared session, so we only see what's on your screen and nothing more. We'll ask you to close any documents containing sensitive or private information before starting the session.
You're always in full control of your computer. You can take control of the mouse at anytime by moving it and you can end a session by clicking the "Stop" button or by closing the GoToAssist window. Disconnecting prevents us from seeing your screen, and removes access to your computer.
4. Is screen-sharing safe?
Yes. Proprietary compression technology and 128-bit end-to-end AES encryption (also used for online banking) makes sure that data sent between your computer and our Support Team can only be viewed using GoToAssist software.
Citrix Online (the providers of the GoToAssist download), perform regular virus checks and updates to make sure files are clean. After use, the files will remain on your computer but they can only be used alongside a valid support code (issued by our Support Team).